Well, today I finally took all my potatoes out of the ground.
So I thought I would post some pictures of various
harvests I had throughout the growing season.
It was a very hot and dry summer this year,
and some things like my pole beans, just burnt up
in the heat. I planted carrots, but don't know what
happened there- not even one came up!
Here are some pictures of some of the things
that actually grew:

Strawberries do great here and many of the farmers
plant and sell them. They are usually ready the first
part of June, but this year with the heat they were
a month early. This picture was taken in mid May.

I got lots of yellow squash and zucchini this year.
Usually I get much more zucchini, but this year
I got a lot more yellow squash. This picture was taken
in mid June. I usually do a second crop of
yellow squash and zucchini, but this year I didn't.
The plants produced clear into September.

I got a great crop of green apples from my dwarf
apple tree. In the past, I would get about three
or four apples. I picked them a little earlier than
I wanted to, because the bees were trying to
eat them all up. This picture was
taken on September 12.

A bird nest in my apple tree.
There were three baby birds in the nest,
but you can't see them here because they are sleeping.

A close-up of some of the apples on the tree.

Here are all the apples washed and ready for the
refrigerator. I had a few for lunch a couple of times,
and Shelly and the girls ate some too while
they were here for a visit.
With all the rest of them, Heidi and a friend made
applesauce with them. So now we have tons of applesauce
in the freezer. And, wouldn't you know it,
it really tastes like applesauce.

Today, I finally dug out all my potatoes.
The crate on the left are red potatoes,
and the crate on the right are Yukon Gold potatoes.

This year I planted sweet potatoes as an
afterthought, so they got stuck where I had room.
Most of the sweet potato plants didn't do much,
but a couple grew long vines and these flowers.

So here are all the sweet potatoes that grew.
My foot is there for comparison- size 10.
They haven't been washed off yet,
and either has my foot.

Here are the sweet potatoes in the sink
after they are all scrubbed clean.
The pencil is there for comparison.

And here are all the potatoes after cleaning.
After they dry, they go in milk crates to get good
air circulation, and then stored in the dark for
awhile to harden. Then we will use the bigger ones
and cube the smaller ones for soups
and stews all winter long.
Now I am hungry.
Looks like you have been busy! The girls and I need to eat your applesauce and help you eat your potatoes too. I have been dreaming of making another Apple Crisp ever since everyone devoured it.
ReplyDelete