Our Family

Apple New Year! This is a picture taken on December 28, 2012, of most of our Apple products we had with us during Christmas 2012. On the floor on the left is our first computer, bought in 1987. From the left: Sam, his wife Amber and their daughter Evelyn; Katie behind Suzie, her husband Adam with their son Tyson; Shelly and her husband Drew with their daughter Aubree between them and their daughter Kinzie on Drew's lap and their daughter Isabelle; Brian and his wife Brittany standing behind them, and Heidi and I.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Last Harvest of the Season

Yesterday, I finally harvested my carrots.
They'll be great in a stew or salad
This isn't the longest I have left them in the ground,
one year I didn't pick them until February!
And that's only because it was snowing and the
ground was beginning to freeze.

I plant them in a section of the garden that I made
the soil very loamy- so they will grow
somewhat straight.

Here is a close-up of the bunch.
(Pun intended).
I got all different sizes:
Some are skinny and some are fat.
Some are tall and some are short.
Just like some people I know.

Here they are all cleaned up.
The discoloring at the top of a few carrots is
from being exposed to the sun and not covered
up with soil.

I cut the tops of some of the sunflowers and
put them on the ground for the birds to finish eating.
That red seed is from the magnolia tree.

Here is a picture of what is left of the tomatoes.
The frost has pretty-much done-in the vines.
We could probably salvage some of the tomatoes
to ripen indoors.

This isn't a harvest picture, but here is one of the
batches of boiled peanuts we have made in the
crock pot. I call them 'wet nuts' and they are real good.
Just takes raw peanuts, water and salt. We cook them
in the crock pot overnight and into the next day.
The cat really likes them!
For some people, they are an acquired taste.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I forgot about those peanuts! I'll be asking for that recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nummy peanuts. Man, those carrots are FAT...well, some of them anyways. How fun to still have produce from the garden. Someday I will have one, too...

    ReplyDelete