Our Family

Apple New Year! This is a picture taken on December 28, 2012, of most of our Apple products we had with us during Christmas 2012. On the floor on the left is our first computer, bought in 1987. From the left: Sam, his wife Amber and their daughter Evelyn; Katie behind Suzie, her husband Adam with their son Tyson; Shelly and her husband Drew with their daughter Aubree between them and their daughter Kinzie on Drew's lap and their daughter Isabelle; Brian and his wife Brittany standing behind them, and Heidi and I.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

hawaii bound


I have never really been jealous of the missionaries that I teach. They are going to the mission field and have a crazy 2 years slash 18 months of life ahead of them. I would love to have some of those experiences again, but I understand that my time has come and gone... therefore I never really let it get to me... and then I taught a district of missionaries headed to the blessed Hawaii Honolulu Mission. Oh those lucky, lucky missionaries. They fly out this Tuesday morning and I wish with all of my heart that I could be on that plane with them... here are a few things that I am sad to miss...

1. The look on their faces when they see the islands out of the window of their jet for the first time.

2. The smile on their faces when they sink their teeth into their first Melona Bar.

3. The kick in the pants their mission president gives them as they walk out of their first mission president's interview.

4. The scared look on their face the first time they go a' tracking.

5. Their first Hawaiian morning waking up bright and early to smell the yellow hibiscus.

6. When their heart skips a beat as they wake up thinking for the first time "I am in Hawaii? I am in Hawaii!"

7. When #6 finally subsides and they realize they are VERY far from the cushiness of the MTC.

8. The overwhelming feeling that shortly follows when you realize you dont know ANYONE... including the kid who is kneeling at his bed next to you.

9. Their first hawaiian meal.

10. Their first interaction with a Hawaiian Sovereigntist.

11. Their first lesson with someone in the mish.

12. Meeting their sometimes crazy ward mission leader who thinks himself to be the mission president.

13. The excited response in sacrament meeting when someone greets the congregation with a healthy "ALOHA!"

14. Their panicked response when they stiffen up like a board when some kapuna in their ward gives them an Aloha kiss.

15. Their first baptism.

16. Their first district meeting when they have no idea what LARCs, NIs, PIs, CIs, Os, WMs, or RR/RCs are.

17. Their confused reaction when they find that no one really wears grass skirts or coconut bras.

18. Another confused reaction when a local speaks straight pidgin to them. "You no talk da pidgin kine, o what haole boy?"

19. Their first experience eating fresh fruit straight off the trees.

20. Their first Hawaiian sunset.

21. Their excitement when they get thrown a shaka from some locals for the first time.

22. When they realize hows silly the tourists are wearing their aloha shirts.

23. Their first time using the "hui!"

24. Their first fast Sunday when they have so little energy working in the heat on an empty tank that putting one foot in front of the other is a miracle with every step.

25. Their first pday hike in paradise.

26. Their first comp inventory with their trainer. "You got beef? No, you? No... pound it!"

... I could go on and on forever... anyway. I love these missionaries and I love my mission. The fact that they are going there just blows my mind. We had a cool experience together yesterday when I said goodbye. We were huddled together in a little tiny circle, just the 6 of us... and we quoted the mission motto together:

"We are grateful to serve in the Hawaii Honolulu Mission: The Aloha Mission. The Atonement of Jesus Christ is our message, love of God and others is our motivation, and obedience to the commandments and mission rules is our strength. By sharing the gospel with others, we can give them the "ha", the breath of life, even eternal life. ALOHA!!!!"

We said it loud and proud... one generation of missionaries connected with another. Them and me united in a love of our mission and the people there. We topped it off with a screaming loud CHEEEHOOO! They were so excited and I am so excited for them.... oh to be on that plane Tuesday morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment