Here are pictures of blooms and other things from the yard from this spring and summer. I am leaving them in chronological order so you can see the differences in the sizes of some plants, and so you know what order things bloom around here. We are lucky here that things in our yard bloom from March/April to about October/November.
Enjoy!
So I had to start with some snow pictures. This is about as much snow as we got all winter. But this storm didn't come in winter, it came in spring. March 25 to be exact. We had to wait till spring to get a winter snowstorm!
A Christmas card view.
Or perhaps this one, with the Colorado Blue Spruce near the foreground.
Daffodils popping up the first week of April.
More daffodils, by the bird bath.
Daffodils in the front yard by the retaining wall.
Hyacinth in bloom now. Taken April 13.
The back lawn after its first cut on April 13.
Rhododendron in bloom.
Two of my grow boxes for my vegetable garden finally rotted after years of service. So I had to build new ones. Here is a view of what is left of them.
Pretty bad shape, huh?
All taken apart and the wood stacked on the left, waiting to be cut up for the wood pile.
That's some of the newer boxes in the foreground.
A picture of the new boxes. I still have to put the chicken-wire around them to keep the rabbits out.
Here is our back deck with the awning put back on for the spring and summer. Also some of the Adirondack chairs on the right, and a table and chair set on the left.
The Adirondack chairs. These are singles, the doubles are on the front porch.
This table and chair set we got last fall when Home Depot was marking things down to get them out the door.
A table fountain.
Potatoes coming up, April 26.
Tulip Time!
Another tulip.
The wisteria just beginning to bloom on one of the arbors.
Lilac in bloom. This one is planted in front of the kitchen window so we can smell it in the kitchen.
Another tulip.
Heidi power-washed this bench and repainted it for the front porch.
Paper-white azalea.
A close-up of the paper-whites.
And yet another tulip.
Potatoes in the background and tomatoes in the foreground.
Taken May 5.
More lilac.
More azalea.
Now the wisteria is really in bloom.
More azalea.
And more azalea.
Wisteria, taken from under the arbor.
Marigolds planted around the 'rock' in the front yard.
Cherry blossom snow from the ornamental double-blossom cherry tree.
A turtle in the lawn.
Iris.
Clematis.
Heidi planted all kinds of things on the deck.
Here are some pictures of them.
Lots of color.
More iris.
A not-so-close view of the iris.
Rose.
Iris.
These are actually potato blossoms.
A bird nest in the hyacinth.
Two chicks and an egg.
Lilies now in bloom.
Taken June 6.
Squash in bloom.
Hydrangea.
More lilies.
A close-up of hydrangea.
One of my two large hydrangea bushes.
And more lilies. I have lots of different colored lilies, so get used to seeing pictures of them.
Daisies.
Yellow squash. I tried a type called 'Pic-N-Pic' and they grow like crazy. I am getting about 10-12 squash growing at the same time from each plant. And at times have to pick every other day!
This is zucchini. I get lots of these too.
Ho hum, more lilies.
I also have a magnolia tree. This is a magnolia blossom.
I've got a ton of grapes too. Hopefully they will last until ready to pick. Last year all the wasps ate them up.
One of the first hauls. This is from one day of picking, June 25.
This is from June 30.
White Rose of Sharon.
Purple Rose of Sharon.
Heidi made zucchini bread. It was too hot to cook in the house, so she cooked it on the barbecue.
Orange lily. This color is native to Delaware. You see lots of these growing along the roads.
More orange lily.
Mystery plant. I know what it is, but I don't want Shelly's kids to know. They are coming in August for a visit and I want them to figure out what these are.
More lilies.
I am getting tomatoes now also.
Taken July 9.
Did I mention I have grapes?
This is one of my favorite lilies.
Hey, get off my daisies!
Hosta in bloom.
A close-up of one of my crepe myrtle in bloom.
Here's a wide shot of the whole pink crepe myrtle.
I took these the first weekend of August. There are plenty of cherry tomatoes growing now.
And lots of regular tomatoes too. They are growing and ripening small this year. I think it is because of all the rain we have had this summer.
Still getting zucchini!
And still getting yellow squash.
I took out all the squash and zucchini plants that were exhausted from producing all summer and replanted with more of the same in the last week of July. We will see how well they do, we still have a good three months of growing season left. I am just concerned on whether they will get enough sun each day- since the days are getting shorter. I left a couple of each kind of squash plants that are still bearing squash.
My pumpkin patch. I have about a half-dozen pumpkins. We will see if they continue to grow and last until the fall.
Here is a picture of three of our six tomato plants. Some of the plants are over six feet tall.
This picture shows the potato plants in the foreground and some tomato plants in the background. The tops of the potato plants are dying off. I will leave the potatoes in the ground for a couple of weeks to mature, and then harvest and clean them. I will store the potatoes for about a month so they will 'harden', then they will be ready to use.
A close-up of one of my crepe myrtle in bloom.
Here's a wide shot of the whole pink crepe myrtle.
I took these the first weekend of August. There are plenty of cherry tomatoes growing now.
And lots of regular tomatoes too. They are growing and ripening small this year. I think it is because of all the rain we have had this summer.
Still getting zucchini!
And still getting yellow squash.
I took out all the squash and zucchini plants that were exhausted from producing all summer and replanted with more of the same in the last week of July. We will see how well they do, we still have a good three months of growing season left. I am just concerned on whether they will get enough sun each day- since the days are getting shorter. I left a couple of each kind of squash plants that are still bearing squash.
My pumpkin patch. I have about a half-dozen pumpkins. We will see if they continue to grow and last until the fall.
Here is a picture of three of our six tomato plants. Some of the plants are over six feet tall.
This picture shows the potato plants in the foreground and some tomato plants in the background. The tops of the potato plants are dying off. I will leave the potatoes in the ground for a couple of weeks to mature, and then harvest and clean them. I will store the potatoes for about a month so they will 'harden', then they will be ready to use.
Well that's it for now.
I will ad more as the summer progresses.
Thanks for lasting this long, if you got this far.





















































































No comments:
Post a Comment